Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cloth Diapers Review - Part 2 **updated with pic on Ella House

Following up on the first CD review, here's the second part, which covers all that I have now. Depending on my roving eyes and itchy hands, there could be a Part 3 ;)

Again... Beforehand, please note that this review is solely based on my personal experience with them on my little Arthur. It might or might not work out to be the same for you or your baby though I do hope this helps out in your decision-making process as in which one to buy.

"Wash & Care" is simplified. If you know CDs, you'd know there are many, many ways to care for them. Mine is not the detailed version simply because by the time I started using them, my little one seldom poo in the nappy already...

I do not get paid for these reviews and even if I do get paid, they will be the same honest reviews. "Get it from" simply provides references on where I got them from. There could be others in Malaysia selling them... at any time, you can just google them up ;)

The ratings (e.g. *****) are from * (1) to ***** (5), where ***** (5) is the highest possible rating for any particular product. ;)

Ella's House fitted




Description : Call this weird, call this special, call this unique... this is the only one CD that I have where the prints are meant to be on the inside. Why? The prints on on the fleece, the fabric that is meant to absorb moisture away from the baby's bum.
Material : The body of this nappy is made entirely from hemp/cotton fleece with aplix. It is a fitted with a pocket that has a hem booster inside, and you can add on extra hemp booster into the pocket fitted diaper. Simply soft and absorbent.
Absorbency : Very absorbent. Used with a longie, can last Arthur through the night (Arthur is a mega heavy wetter) and still keep him dry as the entire inner layer is fleece, though the outside will be dripping wet. What's more, you cn always add on inserts/boosters.
Drying time : Longer than pockets but generally faster than most fitted as there is an 'insert' that can be taken out to dry.
Fit : Not so pro-Ella's House here... if you look closely at the picture, you will see that the aplix are sewn much to the inside compared to others... in a way, the closure is not very well enclosed... sort of flabby, if you get what I mean. Fit is a bit loose on the bottom. Huge aplix strap... which I don't really like.


See how the tabs are flapping?

Wash & Care : Easy wash, easy care. The printed inner layer makes tough stains almost invisible. Just the same as most modern CD. Just rinse off messes and put into WM
Prints : Cute prints, though remember, the prints belong to the inner layer. So, when it is on, you won't see those prints.. all you see is the beige colour.
Overall Rating : *** (everything but the fit is good about this nappy)
Get it from : http://www.babysashanmom.com/

Bumwear One Size Pocket


Description : Don't know why but this particular CD never appealed to me. It was indeed never my intention to get it... it was a result of an exchange of a faulty product. Anyway, since I am into CD, I thought I'd just try this out, too. Briefly, a pocket diaper (known for its batik prints) with soft fleece inner.
Material : PUL outer with batik prints and super soft fleece inner
Absorbency : Again, as in Part 1 of my CD review, this very much depends on the inserts.
Drying time : Very fast... remember, this is true for the Pocket outer only... you need those inserts!
Fit : Poor fit. period.
Wash & Care : Simple and easy as the soft fleece inner can easily be rinsed off.
Prints : Again, known for it's batik prints... though batik does not appeal much to me.
Overall Rating : **(the very poor fit has made me put it aside as a nap time nappy... not good for outing, not good for active activities while my little one is awake... the CD drops sometimes when he gets too excited. Put it on a tighter setting? No... it will then be too tight that it leaves marks on my little Arthur. Also, the PUL outer somehow seem different and a bit off compared to Drybees and others.)
Get it from : As I did not get satisfactory customer service from the vendor, I am not recommending them here. Please look this up yourself and hopefully, you do not get it from where I got it from.

Bum Genius 2.0 One Size pocket


Description : This is my favourite pocket CD by far as I simply love everything about it! What more can I wish for? Perhaps, for the sizing to be more generous so that it can last longer (most one size will not last through toddlerhood as their fittings are usually 'just right')? Then again, more generous sizing might mean a poorer fit?
Material : PUL outer and suede inner. Somehow, this PUL outer is a bit thinner than the rest and in a way more breathable, I feel. And, no, it does not make it leak sooner. Just a note here, PUL are usually categorised into how waterproof they can be in terms like 1 mil, 2 mil so on. Most PUL for CDs are in the 2 mils. Also, love those stretchy tabs! Go to their website to watch the brief video clip on how this feature helps ease the CD experience. It worked exactly the same way for me ;)
Absorbency : Depends on the inserts. The insert that came with it can last quite some time. For an outing with Arthur, usually at least 3 hours before we change him. Longer, most of the time.
Drying time : Very fast, true with pocket diapers
Fit : Main reason why I love this so much is due to the not-so-bulky fit. Compared to the rest that I have, this one allows me to put pants on Arthur without him looking like a duck with a big, hidden, bottom. **LOL**
Wash & Care : Easy wash, easy care. It's a pocket CD!
Prints : Not many choices. In fact, no prints at all. Just those lovely pastel solid colours.
Overall Rating : ***** (this deserves a full rating as this is my favourite pocket CD to date! Let me know if you prefer any other over this!)
Get it from : http://www.miabambina.com/


Itti Bitti AIO


Description : This is the first from the left in the picture (solid blue). The claims are true... "...itti bitti snap in AIO's are ultra trim, quick drying All In One nappies that don't need a cover. These snug fitting nappies really do fit just like a disposable, perfect for wearing under clothes, that don't usually fit cloth bums. They have the high cut front and slim crotch, too" Unlike any I have experienced to date, these (all 3 of them from the pic) looks so small you'd wonder it'll fit. They do! In size L, there's even room for growth for Arthur!
Material : PUL and fleece for the outer layer. Super absorbent bamboo boosters! Very interesting system used here. Something like Baby Beehinds but with a wider coverage for the topmost layer, which is constructed of a fleece layer on top of a bamboo layer. All included in the package (scroll down for the photo for itti Boo's... similar system , different material. notice that they even colour code the snaps to make sure you know what goes where!)


Absorbency : Very, very absorbent. Just to try it out, I had it on Arthur for 8 hours and it was still holding well (no leaks) though I know it should so be changed after 8 hours!!
Drying time : The system is just so good. It dries much, much faster than all other AIOs/fitted that I have. Briefly, it can all be taken apart.
Fit : Very, very, very good fit. Something like how low cut hipsters had overtaken the high-waisted jeans.... (can I put it in any better terms? hehehe..)
Wash & Care : Easy wash, easy care. Much more so with this as you can even just take away the top most liner when it is soiled and continue using it with another liner if it's not wet (... don't you just hate those times you need to change the whole nappy just minutes after putting it on your baby simply because there's a little mess in it?)
Prints : Prints not available for the AIOs but the colours available are simply to die for.
Overall Rating : ***** (Isn't it beginning to sound like I am getting paid for this or that I am selling it? Fact is, NO to both. I just want to express how happy and satisfied I am with this CD! Might just get more... and more... and more...)
Get it from : not available in Malaysia at the moment (will soon be ;). No.. not through me...). I got it straight from the Australian site from the above link.


Itti Bitti Bitti Boo's


Description : This is the middle one in the first picture (Lemon coloured). The claims are true... "bitti boo's are designed with the super trim itti bitti fit, so they really do fit just like a disposable, they are super soft and sooo pat-a-ble and they stay that way, wash after wash. They have the high cut front and slim crotch, too" Unlike any I have experienced to date, these (all 3 of them from the pic) looks so small you'd wonder it'll fit. They do! In size L, there's even room for growth for Arthur!


Material : an outer layer of colourful, snuggly soft, cotton/poly velour, an inner of bamboo velour. Itti bitti snap in hemp boosters with the hourglass booster also topped in silky soft bamboo velour (so all that is touching babies bum is lush, soft bamboo velour) Ohh... so soft.. like the Blueberry minkee.. even better as this is breathable... soft on the inside and the outside, too.


Absorbency : Very, very absorbent. No problem at all with night diapering. Have to go with a longie, though. Then again, unlike the other fitted CDs I use for night diapering, this is not dripping wet the next morning. Just wet all over.


Drying time : Like the AIO, the system is just so good. It dries much, much faster than all other AIOs/fitted that I have. Briefly, it can all be taken apart.


Fit : I'll say it again...Very, very, very good fit. Something like how low cut hipsters had overtaken the high-waisted jeans.... (can I put it in any better terms? hehehe..)


Wash & Care : Easy wash, easy care. Much more so with this as you can even just take away the top most liner when it is soiled and continue using it with another liner if it's not wet (... don't you just hate those times you need to change the whole nappy just minutes after putting it on your baby simply because there's a little mess in it?)


Prints : No prints... just drool over the many selections of colours available.. believe me, you'll have a hard time choosing.


Overall Rating : ***** ( I know... But, really, I am so not selling them or getting paid for this...)


Get it from : www.lildanzell.com


Itti Bitti Knit and Cotton Print fitted


Description : Third from first photo... Above photo taken with Arthur to show you how fitting they all are! Anyway, for this one, let's just say that they are indeed very honest to let us know that these fitted are "...good but may need to boost for heavy wetters and the durability of it is... Knit and cotton quilting fabrics wash up very well, although like all cotton based fabrics, can fade over time, inners of microfleece, suedecloth and velour look good for a long time.."


Material : "...6 layers of hemp in the wetzone for absorbency. The outer layer is a cotton, cotton/poly or cotton/lycra print, with a hidden layer of flannel and an internal soaker of 3 layers hemp terry/fleece. The inner will be a coordinating lush velour or stay dry microfleece/suedecloth." The inner layers are much smaller than those of the AIO and the Bitti Boo's. Imagine just two strips as wide as your menstrual pads (even trimmer)...


Absorbency : Not as good as its counterpart. Good for day use only.


Drying time : Good.


Fit : I'll say it again and again...Very, very, very good fit. Something like how low cut hipsters had overtaken the high-waisted jeans.... (can I put it in any better terms? hehehe..)
Wash & Care : Easy wash, easy care though not as easy as it's counter parts in terms of removing just the soiled part. As the extra layers are very trim, chances are, once it's soiled, the whole CD will be soiled.


Prints : Cool and attractive prints. This was the main reason I had to get this one, too!


Overall Rating : *** ( I know I was forewarned that it will not be as good as it's counterparts... still, with this particular one, let's jsut say it's not my favourite in terms of absobenecy and durability... then again, this is the ONLY ONE CD that Arthur has ever shown any interest in.. must be the prints.. he will point at it asking to wear it.. really!)
Get it from : not available in Malaysia at the moment (will soon be ;). No.. not through me...). I got it straight from the Australian site from the above link.

Looking at the number of blogs I have put in for CDs and also at reviews like this one, many have suggested that I go into selling CDs, too. Well, let's just say that for now, I am not ready for that kind of commitment and not ready for the taxes. More so, I believe that those on the market are already very good in the CD department. Then again, if more and more are giving me the pressure to provide them (mostly because they want to get all the stuff from one seller to save on shipping etc.,I presume...) I might just do it one day... not now...


It is so the nature loving part in me that made me write all these reviews and blogs on CDs. Just trying to reduce those waste and save our babies' bums, if you know what I mean. Also, for the benefits for my pregnant friends...

Until the next CD review, hope you find all these useful. Drop a comment on any particular brand you want a review on and who knows, I might be crazy enough to try it out just to post the review.

Mind you, though... I DO NOT get paid for these reviews... just trying to do my part. The feeling of transforming someone from Disposables to CDs... priceless!

8 comments:

Peridot&Sapphire said...

thanks for the valueable information...

Rayhana said...

Hi there Jess!

Thanks for the comprehensive reviews!

uh oh, what do disposables do especially to boys?? *bites fingernails*

DS is just 1 year, but I am practising elimination communication with him. Which of these do you recommend as training pants? Can CDs be used but without the inserts?

I only have 4 so far, so not enough to completely CD. However, perhaps I can try the cloth lampin and your method of tying!
I have 2 drybees, and 2 bumwear (don't like the snaps lah!).. 1 of the drybees I have (the one coloured one), the insides fold out! The polka-dotted one seems much more 'stable.' And seems to be better quality..

Thanks!

Jess said...

Hi Rayhana, CDs (the ones with snaps) as training pants are alright... my little one can take them on and off by himself, pants like. The aplix one is more difficult, though.

You might want to try putting one layer insert to catch 'accidents', though.

Then again, I am not confident with bumwear (the snaps are a problem) as training pants, though. U can try it our since that is all you have ;)

Dispos on boys.. let me dig for the info again and I might post it here... don't worry so much... not that nobody uses dispos... you are already better as you are using CDs some time ;)

allthingspurple said...

nice for us to have another cd online store but u probably want to think twice. Market in Malaysia isnt really that large yet. Me, I enjoy buying but selling..hee hee.. no thanks.

As for knit itti bitti, i like them because they are the thinnest among all other itti bitti. I love my itti bitti AIO , dlish and bitti boo too,but i also like the knit cotton ones for their own purpose.

I dont care much for bumwear, either, so i have never gotten one.

As for Ellahouse, i love it for its softness,but i must admit the applix is somewhat lacking. not for keeping for another kid cos i dont think the applix is strong enough to last

BTW, i drop by to wish you a Happy CNY !! And is it okay if i change the tag to boy colour? My sil is getting a boy,not a girl.

Jess said...

Hi Christene, Thank you for sharing your experience. Happy CNY to you and your family, too ;)

Emailed you wrt the exchange

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

Very thorough reviews! Have you tried starbunz yet?

Good for you making the effort to spread the word :) FYI for those who encouraging you to start your own CD store - it's very expensive to start up especially if you want to provide all types of CD for one stop shopping. Each supplier usually has a minimum order of US$200 to US$300 (and you'll usually buy more because you need a better range)!

For rayhana - my store will be getting in www.ecapants.com soon - perfect for E.C.ing babies.

Also, there's a new CD exchange forum up - www.diapersasia.com/forum - hope you can join in :)

Cheers, Li

KittyCat said...

Hi Jess - I found your review while searching for Ella House. There are a couple being sold on DiapersAsia. I like the thought that it's very absorbent but noted the poor Aplix.

Would you recommend I get it if used ones are sold at RM30-40? Pls let me know ok? Thanks

Jess said...

Hi Kitty Cat,

Til now, Ella House is not one of our favourites. We just try not to use it... not worth it's RM75 but at RM30-RM40, you might want to give it a go. In this case, it's more like paying for the materials and not bothering about the constructions (the materials are quite absorbent for a fitted but the construction of the CD is simply off). You might want to give it a miss if you are thinking of using it for outings, though.. really, too bulky. More for home/nap times. HTH ;)