Monday, December 10, 2007

Old Fashioned ways of doing things...

In my little brother's attempt to promote the baby sling for me (Thanks to him ;)), some of the comments he's got is "What? You want me to use that old fashioned way to carry my baby??!" Well, old fashioned it may be but it works. That particular exclamation sparked many thoughts.

In this 'new world' of ours, 'old fahioned' ways seem to be more and more important... especially when we think of them in the parenting world...

Discussing them in the topics I am passionate about... babywearing, breasfeeding and cloth diapering...

Babywearing... Having your baby close to you just feels right. Wearing your baby makes life so much easier. I did my laundry with Arthur in the pouch. Babywearing was a lifesaver on the days he was sick and clingy. Especially with the kind of news we hear about kidnapped children.. I feel much better bringing Arthur out in the sling... sure, he'll have those times when he is let out of the sling to run around.. but it sure is good to have him back in the sling when I am exhausted from chasing after him. For this peace of mind and closeness with my baby, I wouldn't mind being term old-fashioned at all.. And, did I tell you that some actually commented that the Peek-a-pouch is trendy?

Breastfeeding... Well, well, well... I am sure that you'd already known that for as long as we (humans) exist, breastfeeding has been practised. Simply put, why would you think that the biggest labels you could read on the tins and packaging on the baby formula reads "BREAST MILK IS THE BEST FOR YOUR INFANT". Need I say more?

Cloth Diapering... Just as breastfeeding, why would you think that those disposable diapers promotes themselves as being "CLOTH LIKE". Also, those wipes, too...

Really, give those a thought and you will be surprised how many other things are best when they are back to basics... just as your toddler's food... would you put in those 'new found' ingredients such as flavouring and preservatives? Think about it... for me, old fashioned or not.. as long as it works!

2 comments:

Peridot&Sapphire said...

hehe... my MIL and my mum also said it's tiring to wear the baby. That's kampung style... but i think about it it's way more better than holding in arms, that's the reason why I got shoulder and back pain! I want the bonding time with baby since i feel that my baby was like MIL's baby.... haha...
One question, won't it be hot to wear the baby? That's the only thing that stop me from wearing my baby.

Jess said...

Hi Sharine, it is definitely way better than having sore arms and back pain! Arthur is almost 12kg now and only recently did I feel tiredness on my legs (thighs, to be exact) after wearing him and shopping for 2 hours (probably cos my legs are not meant to be bringing an extra 12 kgs!). The longest I have worn him at one go was 5 hours... and it was easy, really. He fell asleep in the sling... it's the only times (when he's sleeping in the sling) when we both will feel a bit hot and sweaty in between us. Otherwise, I have been wearing him to the night market and we are still quite comfortable. Of course, the fabric used must be breathable.. which is why I would not imagine anything other than 100% cotton for our climate ;)