Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My story with wipes

I have longed to share this story with you but as with many other topics I have in mind, time is just not on my side. And, when I do have the time... well, you just won't want to be overloaded with information in one day.

Anyway, each and every Peekaroobaby product that I handmade and sell has a story of its own. In time, I hope I will be able to share with you every one of them.

Throughout my pregnancy and my preparation for my new baby, I must admit that baby wipes/wash cloth/hanky is the last thing in my mind. Most of the time, as with the 'baby's checklist' given to us... it's clothes, wraps, diapers etc. etc. well, they do mention 'wet tissues' and 'wash cloths' but they do not teach you what to choose...

So, yes, in my preparation for my baby's arrival, I got some cotton hankies... from Aussino... not cheap... it looks nice... looks cute.. looks big enough.. looks soft... that should do it, right? WRONG!


Wash Cloth from Aussino
In a way, I was glad I was working in a Shopping Centre when I was pregnant as it was the purchaser of the Cotton Dept that pointed out to me that newborns and babies need something much softer and not so thick... so I got these...
thin and soft cotton hankies

So... counted myself lucky... the washcloth issue was somehow put aside.. until Arthur was born. My MIL was trying to bath Arthur and I proudly got those supposedly soft and thin cotton hankies out for her.. just NOT SOFT ENOUGH... she says... she still thinks it'll cut into baby's tender skin... so, what she did... she got a piece of the traditional lampin, cut them into smaller sizes and got some seamstress near out house to serge them at 50sen each... it looks like this...

for that moment.. it seemed like the softest we could get.. so, end of story.. for the time being... I was under confinement and did not have much chance to look things up...

Then, when I regained my 'strength'... I looked through my closet and found this soft hanky of mine... it has to be used for years... 6 years to be exact.. for it to turn this soft...

It was only after got back to work and started wearing my pre-pregnancy clothing again that I come across flannel... of which some of my pyjamas (yes! I am a pyjamas fanatic and won't mind getting expensive pyjamas if they are good)... sooo soft even when it's new! So, I got some and sewn them up and has been using them ever since as wash cloth for my Arthur... it works well ... it is soft and smooth to the skin...

A bit later, I was doing some online shopping for cloth diapers and realised that these flannel wash cloths are also a good alternative to baby wipes... so, the nature-lover me tried to use it as wipes and it proved to be good. Double sided flannel is just thick and absorbent enough. For me, I just use it with water. Some prefer to use it with homemade solutions, though. It's really up to individual preference.

Simply, the wet tissues available in the market has proven to be ruff and they burn the irritated area. (If you read the fine prints... they were meant to be 'cloth like')

Arthur has got a sensitive bum.. Drapolene doesn't work for him... Sebamed Healing Cream only works some times...these were while he was still on disposable nappies. So, prior to that, most of the time, I will either clean him with cotton balls with warm water...

If you are looking for something even softer but thicker, you can check out the Wahmies wipes, with a side of sherpa, from http://www.miabambina.com/... it's really good, too except that I don't need it to be so thick.Mine is in the wash so the pic is not here...

No comments: