Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sew Fun

For those who know, I am kind of a crafty person. Basically, I like to make things from scratch.. which is why I like to cook, sew, knit etc.

While I have longed to attend sewing classes to learn how to make more stuff... maybe some clothes.. maybe a quilt... well, it makes it tougher to do such things with a baby in tow...

My passion for sewing started when I was just a little kid.. seeing my Gran sew patches of cloths into a mini quilt for me.. then, I was around 10 years old... my Gran was kind enough to let me have a go at the sewing machine with some scraps... sadly, the next thing I know... she needs to get someone over to repair the machine... oopss...

You see... Gran's machine was one of those traditional ones where you need to keep stepping on it with a rhythmic flow for it to work smoothly.. then, my legs are just touching the paddles and my 'rhythm' was all out.. Lucky me, I was not punished for jamming the threads. Gran even wanted to give me another go when it was repaired but I just dare not.. that was my first experience at a machine that could really do wonders..

Fast forward 10 years and I was pursuing my studies in Sydney.. with much time and a job with a decent pay... I decided to invest in a sewing machine. After much research and comparison, I'd decided in trusting the salesman to get a Janome Decor... “...easy to maintain... no need oiling..".. these were enough for me to get it and true to his words, the machine is still in tip top condition today. I am glad I trusted him. Then, I sewn myself simple skirts and a quilt for my then baby nephew which he still holds on to til this day...

After returning to Malaysia, though, I have somehow 'abandoned' the machine as work was taxing and there are just so much to do with family, friends and relatives around... It is now that I have quit my job to be a SAHM that my trustworthy machine is out once again...

Then on, I have been sewing, sewing... bibs for Arthur.. pillowcase for Arthur... wipes for Arthur... sling to carry Arthur in... thinking of sewing an apron for Arthur.. yes, can't help it but my world does revolve around My Little Arthur.... it's just sew, sew fun!

No comments: