Monday, April 28, 2008

Farewell to my Granny

Just a week back at home base trying to catch up with my work since our return from our family trip abroad, I received a call from Alice, my sister, that my late granny has been hospitalised. Three days later, on Saturday, just after our Penang Babywearing gathering, Alan, my elder brother, called for us to return home ASAP.

My late paternal granny (3Ma 3Ma), left us on Monday, the 21st April 2008. Arthur, Bernard (my younger brother who is living with us) and I arrived home (KL) on Sunday to see our 3Ma 3Ma for the last time. Arthur managed to make her smile and laugh at his broken songs of Old MacDonald and some others that she used to teach me sing... 3Ma 3Ma was going to turn 84 this year.

Looking back, I grew up with 3Ma 3Ma, most of the time, only the two of us home as my parents were working late. She was my main caregiver. We even co-sleep...

It is from 3Ma 3Ma that I picked up the habits to a frugal living. I later realised that though the terms are different, what is frugal iving to her means going green to many... Some of the things I learnt from 3Ma 3Ma that I am still practising to date:

  • waste no energy... only light up where you are in the house... I still remember how my friends used to comment there's nobody at home when they arrived at the front gate... if we were in the kitchen, that will where the lights will be lighted.. nowhere else... the kitchen happen to be at the back of the house.
  • waste no energy... don't let the TV run when you are not watching it... don't just switch on the radio for fun...
  • waste no water.... turn off the tap while you are brushing your teeth... turn off the tap when you are cleaning the dishes (not rinsing)... the water from washing the vegetables can be used to rinse dirty dishes or even water the plants...
  • cook what you need and don't waste food... yes, I prefer to cook just enough than having extra to keep.

In addition, 3Ma 3Ma grows her own vege... talk about self sustainability... and even certain herbal remedies like the Aloe Vera... I still remember how she used it for minor cuts and also as an ointment for bites and stings...

There are many more and these are lessons that I will never forget.

No comments: